Tuesday, November 11, 2003

OVERAGE

Sigh, I have been disqualified from next year's Singapore Kendo Youth Tournament.....because I am OVERAGE!!!!! 26 is still considered youth right? .................right?

I was really looking forward to it. Although there is 4 tournaments a year in Singapore (Youth Tournament, East-West Tournament, Singapore Nationals and the Lim Kwa Chwee Memorial Tournament ) but the youth tournament holds great meaning for me. It was the first ever tournament i have ever joined, and also the tournament i have never got a point from. It is like a benchmark for me to test my skills. It has been an obstacle in my pursue of kendo and also a form of target and motivation to overcome it. Not to mention that, it is also the only tournament which we have the oppourtunity to compete in teams representing our own club. It has always been my fuel and motivation to try to get back in shape (after my foot injury and dengue fever) in kendo. But now, studdenly, i feel lost. like a kite cut off its string. Lost....

Initially i was frustrated (being the usual hot-headed me), my brain knows that no one is to blame as this is regulations, but my heart unaviodably falls into depression. Luckily, i've decided to swim this afternoon, and after a good 20 laps, it gave me time to clear my head and think though the issue, my aim, my kendo, my life. Its something like what Christians have in their quiet time. When they read the bible and think, analyse, reflect and understand. Its really great. Sometimes, we live our lives (especially Singaporeans) in such a rush, we miss out the smaller, more important things in life. There must be always time set aside for reflection. Or else we will be no better then machines.

As of now, i have accepted the offer of being one of the tournaments of the Youth tournament next year. I think it is also a way to return what NUS kendo have given me, in my last year in NUS. Also , i will train hard to be able to be of contribution to help train the NUS 2nd men's team. Cos, i was in the 2nd team for the past 2 yrs of youth tournaments. And anyway, there are 2 national team members helping out the first team. Don't think i could contribute more:) But i do hope NUS kendo will be able to maintain it's standard as 2 of our best fighters have graduated. No matter what, i will never give up kendo :)

No comments: