Sunday, May 25, 2008

Costumes

It is indeed interesting to try out new things. Today, with anxiety, curiosity and suspicion, I stepped into my first Costume shop. I was initially expecting the place to be nothing more than a classroom in size. No. It turned out to be about the size of a basketball court. If not bigger! Shelves stuffed with customs of different country, culture, themes, genres, movies, you name it, they will probably have it.

I got ahead of myself. My trip to the custom shop is all in preparation for my friend's wedding in June. They are having their wedding dinner in The Grand Shanghai. And as the name suggests, we are going to have a themed dinner, "Oriental" style!!

So, after 2 hours of digging, trying, laughing our heads off, I finally found (with the help of the friendly staff) the complete costume. Silk Ma-Gua, jacket, hat, pants, cloth shoes, everything! all I need now is a bird cage and a paper fan! They say I look like some 19 Century Chinese "Ah1 Xia4 Kia4". Those that frequent tea-houses. For those who don't understand this, go look up www.hokkien-ho-dictionary.com for answers... NO! this is not an actual website! Well, but it didnt come cheap. 60bucks for the whole set. Ouch!

Photos??? Hmm... maybe not yet. Might post a few of them during the wedding. It will be a smash! An eventful weekend if I do say so myself :)

1 comment:

Eiji Kotaki said...

where's the photo for THIS post???